Scribblings From the Desert

I am a published author and produced screenwriter living in Rancho Mirage, California with my wife, Beth, and two dogs, Crystal and Misty. I have spent most of my life in and around the Hollywood Motion Picture Business.

Name:
Location: Rancho Mirage, California, United States

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Today I decided to give myself a rest. Been having an e-mail discussion with Bob Boze Bell, publisher of True West Magazine, regarding what needs to be done to draw the under 55 audience to Westerns. He thinks adding a flashy rap soundtrack and computer enhancing the color will attract the younger crowd. I disagree completely and stand by the traditional Western - Elmer Bernstein-style theme music; good vs. bad; strong characters, etc. Anyway, I took the morning off and screened "Tombstone" starring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer. Every time there was a gorgeous transition shot with that wonderful Bruce Broughton score, I substituted rap in my mind and nearly puked every time I did so. Rap just doesn't work for a Western at all. I talked to another Western fan later on and he agreed with me 100 percent.
After my nap, I worked on both of my writing projects, getting a few words down that I was happy with. Beth came home around five and we had dinner together. She's washing her hair right now, then we're going to watch a recorded show from last night - CSI Miami, I think. Later ~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home