Scribblings From the Desert

I am a published author and produced screenwriter living in Rancho Mirage, California with my wife, Beth, and two dogs, Crystal and Misty. I have spent most of my life in and around the Hollywood Motion Picture Business.

Name:
Location: Rancho Mirage, California, United States

Monday, March 19, 2007

March 15, 16, 17, 18

Took off for Phoenix on Thursday the 15th at 5:00 a.m. - arrived four and a half hours later at the Rawhide Western town, too late to get a handicapped parking space. It was only 10:30 and already hot - a preview of things to come. Found the Western Writers of America booth (tent) just inside the main entrance and joined Larry from Barnes and Noble and Rod Timanus setting up the tables with all the books. Later on Major Mitchell and his brother Jerry showed up, followed by "Cowboy" Mike from Georgia, and Lee Baldwin. We all laughed (especially Mike) and talked about old times then prepared to meet and mingle with the customers.
James Jenkins from Florida arrived and I went out to give him his pass. We both went to the WWA booth, then James took off for parts unknown. I used sun block this year and it worked; I also bought a neckerchief to cover my neck. I didn't leave the tent the whole first day and headed for my motel to check in at 5:00 p.m. Had dinner at Taco Bell that first night with James, who was staying at a motel down the way. I went to my room and talked to Beth, then tried to set up my laptop to no avail. Finally to bed around 8:30.
Friday I was up and off earlier so I could get a good handicapped parking spot. Met everyone at the WWA tent, including James (who ran off to see the rest of the place again. Wally Van Allen (Jones) showed up and we walked down to the big tent where we talked to Buck Taylor and Don Collier for a while. On the way back we stopped by the Arizona Gunfighters area and I introduced Wally to Bob Charnes. When we got back to the WWA tent Wally left. Melody Groves and her hubby, plus Jane Burnett Smith showed up and joined us. We talked and sold books. As I was leaving at 5:00 p.m. I ran into Whitey Hughes and his wife at the front bridge and he said he'd be back the next day. I went back to my hotel - cleaned up, then James and I had dinner at Chili's. Home and talk to Beth, tried to set up computer again and finally put the damn thing back in its case. Sister Shannon called - she was passing through Phoenix and we thought we might get together but found we couldn't due to time restraints. Bed at around 9:00.
Saturday found me in a very good handicapped parking spot at 9:30 a.m. (gates opened at 10:00). James was waiting outside the gate and we went in together. I joined the others at the WWA tent, James wandered off, and the day began for us writers as soon as the customers were allowed through the gates. Thursday had been a pretty good day for sales, but had slackened off on Friday. Saturday seemed to be even a little bit slower - we all concluded it was because of the heat. Most of the day was spent bullshitting with the customers, and sitting around bullshitting with ourselves. Whitey Hughes and his wife dropped by to purchase a "Nickel-Plated Dream" book. I wandered out to buy a gift for Beth but was back in the shade quicker than a faro dealer's hands. Said "Bye" to all and headed back to hotel. Cleaned up and had final dinner with James at Taco Bell then said so long. I to room and talked to Beth on phone. Bed early as I wanted to get an early start in the morning.
Sunday - I woke up at 3:00 a.m. and showered, shaved, dressed, packed, checked out, and was on the road by 4:30 a.m. Nice drive home and arrived at 9:00 a.m. Greeted by Beth and the girls. Unpacked, gave Beth her present, checked e-mail 55 messages, then had a small lunch. Took a two-hour nap and got up to feed girls. Beth and I changed then Robin Anderson arrived. We all took off for Fran Jacob's birthday party at Kobe's. Lotta' fun, great food. Home, Robin leaves then Beth and I prepare for and hit the sack. Sleeeeeeep. Later ~